Reading is something we often take for granted, but in order for our primary students to really get to grips with a text, they may need some help and guidance. Whether students are proficient readers in English or whether they are just starting their reading journey, they will benefit from strategies to help them deal with different types of written text.
The checklist below takes learners through pre-reading to post-reading activities. Display the checklist in class while students do reading tasks. At first, it is useful to go through the steps with the whole class, as they read.
Find out more in our article An introduction to guided reading for primary classes.
Depending on the length of the text, you may wish to do all the steps in one lesson, or split them between two lessons, especially if you plan to give students further extension tasks.
Once learners are familiar with the checklist, keep it displayed in your classroom and encourage them to use it every time they do a reading activity.
- Activate – Look at the pictures and discuss your ideas.
- Predict – What kind of text is it? What’s it about? What ideas will come next?
- Ask – Why did the author write the text? What do I know about the topic? What don’t I know?
- Check – Are the ideas facts or the author’s opinion? How do you know?
- Infer – What conclusions can you draw? How do you know this? What words does the author use?
- Guess – Unsure of a word? Look at the other words in the sentence to understand the context. Which ones help you guess the meaning?
- Review – What do you remember? Ask yourself the 5Ws: Who? Where? When? What? Why?
- Focus – What’s the main idea? What details give more information about this idea?
- Summarize – Write about the main message of the text using no more than 20 words.
- Respond – How do you feel about the text? Have your feelings changed?
These reading strategies can be used in class when you are working with texts like you might find in New Cornerstone.
For more top tips join our Cornerstone and Keystone Facebook group, where you can share ideas with passionate teachers all over the world.
New Cornerstone is an intensive 5-level primary course which has a strong focus on building literacy and academic skills. Its texts range from content-area non-fiction to engaging stories at each level. It includes systematic development of reading skills and transferable academic skills that will help learners become proficient users of the English language in a global environment.