We’re delighted to announce the launch of FOCUS Global British English edition, our new flagship upper secondary general English course produced by our UK and Polish teams
FOCUS is about removing distractions; helping students and teachers know what to learn and how to learn it in order to achieve the results they want in end of year exams. Upper Secondary students aspire to tertiary education and probably a professional career, either in their own countries or overseas, for which English proficiency and therefore a good exam pass at the end of secondary school is essential. With four levels launched, and a fifth, advanced level coming in 2017, FOCUS has some creative new features to help them do just that.
Motivation, Memory and Meaning
The FOCUS authors, Sue Kay and Vaughan Jones, understand that language learning is built upon three important foundations: Motivation, Memory and Meaning. These ‘3Ms’ are the guiding principles behind FOCUS. How does that work, I hear you ask?
Motivation is a tough task in an ELT classroom, as any teacher knows. FOCUS helps motivate students using:
- topics, texts and tasks that engage them both intellectually and emotionally – content is up to date
- constant reference to students’ life experiences and the things they aspire to
- grammar animations, interactive videos and culturally relevant clips that bring language to life
Committing new vocabulary and language skills to memory is aided through:
- a unique approach to vocabulary acquisition in the form of the Word Store, an extra vocab practice booklet that opens out from the inside back cover of the Students’ Book
- careful recycling of vocabulary and grammar
- Cambridge and PTE General extra test practice booklets, to reinforce exam skills
Finally, FOCUS’ content is meaningful, because:
- every exercise is relevant to 15-19-year-old students’ lives
- frequent personalisation ensures students’ engagement every step of the way.
Pearson’s Polish team initiated the FOCUS corpus with the FOCUS Matura edition, published in 2014 – 2015. Thanks to the clever thinking of the authors and the original publishing team, FOCUS’ content is organised in a modular, one lesson per page format with colour coding that allows teachers to quickly and seamlessly navigate the lesson.
The FOCUS American English edition is due for launch in September 2016. Further celebration is in order for the launch of the Spanish edition, the two Italian editions and the Czech edition of FOCUS that are launching in 2016. The Spanish edition for Bachillerato (top 2 years of secondary) consists of the global levels 3 and 4 while Italy are releasing Focus Now 1-3 (global edition levels 1, 2 & 3) and Focus Ahead 1-3 (global edition levels 2, 3 & 4).
All this was achieved thanks to the hard work and commitment displayed by the entire team in Poland and the UK. I would like to thank all our colleagues throughout the company who have helped and supported us and enabled us to succeed. Learn more about the FOCUS course online: http://product.pearsonelt.com/focus/.